Does Google like custom domain names of Blogger's blogs?

No HTTPS for custom domains on Google Blogger blogs
I can't argue that it (he, she) doesn't.

However, I have long suspected that a blog on Blogger would get higher positions in search if it keeps its original Blogger's subdomain name rather than a custom domain name.

I don't have proof. I just have a few experiences that push me to believe so.

And as I mentioned earlier, this is the reason I kept the original subdomain name for this blog's web address - https://2read4free.blogspot.com.




I have another blog on Blogger that I started in early March. It has not been indexed by Google yet and does not appear in search anywhere. (I've added it via the WebMaster Tools and submitted its sitemap.)

Yet this blog here, which I started a few days ago, has already been indexed - partially, though, - and one or two pages already come up in search. (I haven't added it via WebMaster Tools etc etc etc.)

I can't think of anything that might account for this.

However, I suspect that the reason is, the former blog uses a custom domain name.

I had another experience just like that some time ago and took a mental note of it.

Frankly, I don't believe that Google prefer one to the other out of "evilness".

I think this might be some reasonable technicality of sorts.

The thing is that your blog will not open via secure connection (https://) if you use a custom domain name on it, say, mysuperblog.com. A some limitation from Blogger.

Yet if you keep the original subdomain name, say, mysuperblog.blogspot.com, it will work both ways: secure (https://) and insecure (http://).

I suspect - and I can agree with it - that the websites that support secure protocols get higher search positions, unlike their counterparts that only support HTTP.

No conspiracy, just some common sense.

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I've been doing a test and I had the same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to reduce the height of the top image from the Contempo theme

Contempo theme? Customized!

How to have widgets on the sidebar expanded by default